CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Technology

I've always stood by the fact that there are two kinds of people: Photographers and Digital Artists. I accept the fact there is a level of chauvenism in that statement and I will face the consequences. But I feel like there is a purity missing from photography these days, and it makes me wonder if it is the move to the digital age.

I sometimes see photos from people and start to beat down on myself. Then I usually find out the amount of editing that goes into them. Who knows - they could be shooting on Auto. This is frustrating for me, as I have these thoughts where I second guess myself, when I'm not comparing apples to apples.

I don't use photoshop. I do have a program where I may make slight adjustments to exposure, and maybe add a few artistic elements (colors, processes), but in general, I'm a SOOC girl.

But that doesn't stop me from appreciating these other artists. I just have to remind myself that they are artists in their own right - a digital artist.

What I need to do is get back to where photography used to get me: excitement over the image, not the creation of it (outside of technical details, of course).

My favorite artists don't edit their photos on a computer, nor do they manipulate the image with copies, burns, dodging. The only lightroom they use is the one in their basement.

I will still be doing portraits, but I am admitting to you now: if you are looking for airbrushed 3-year olds, you are looking in the wrong place.


***Edited: It happened again, today. Just when I feel like everything is crashing and I just don't want to compete anymore (I need a thicker skin), I realize the amount of post-processing - especially when they show a before (sooc) and after. And suddenly I feel better. To some, it may be appreciated. But I guess I am just different. That may end up working out in my favor. At least, personally.

1 comments:

kate nesi said...

There's nothing wrong with SOOC or editing. Embrace your personal style and hold it dear :)